Ontario Investing up to $2.27 Billion to Enhance Health Care and Patients’ Experience
The new Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital will open its doors on December 13, providing expanded health care services and an improved patient experience. The facility is triple the size of the existing Oakville hospital it will replace.
View the webcast below:
Ontario is investing up to $2.27 billion in this project, which is being delivered on time and on budget. Premier Kathleen Wynne was at the hospital to celebrate the completion of the new facility. The new complex will offer an array of benefits to patients, including:
- Up to 457 inpatient beds ready on opening day, which represents an increase of 135 beds from the current hospital.
- A full range of health services, including maternal and child care, critical care, emergency care, surgery, complex continuing care, rehabilitation, diagnostics, ambulatory care and a variety of support services.
- Inpatient and outpatient mental health services for adults, adolescents and children.
- Enhanced patient privacy and infection-prevention measures, including 80 per cent single-patient rooms.
- Patient-centred enhancements such as oversized windows, patient-controlled lighting and temperature, room service food delivery, and patient rooms with a pull-out couch so a family member can stay overnight with a loved one.
- Calm, quiet indoor and outdoor spaces.
The government is investing more than $130 billion over 10 years in infrastructure such as roads, bridges, transit, hospitals and schools — the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario’s history. The Province plans to provide more than $11 billion in hospital capital grants over 10 years to improve infrastructure in the health care sector.
Improving access to health care is part of the government’s plan to build Ontario up by investing in people’s talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario’s history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.